Lumin Education was founded in 1978 for the specific purpose of proving that all children, regardless of race or income, can succeed in school when we start young and involve parents.
From its humble beginnings of educating a single class of eight children in donated space, the original campus has expanded to a 5 classroom campus serving one hundred children with daily classroom and outreach programs.
In August 1999, Lumin opened a second campus that replicates the academic programs and success of the original model.
In 2009, Lumin opened its third location in the neighborhood north of Bachman Lake (one of the poorest neighborhoods in Dallas, just north of Love Field Airport).
In 2014 Lumin Wesley-Rankin Community School was formed in West Dallas through a partnership with Wesley-Rankin Community Center. In our first year of operation (2014-15), we are providing a parent education, home visiting program which serves families with children from pre-birth through age three.
Together, our campuses serve over 550 children and their parents.
To transform education by starting young, involving parents, and creating learning environments to inspire children from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds.
Philosophy of Education
Lumin Education is guided by the Montessori philosophy of education. That philosophy is rooted in Dr. Montessori’s conviction (which has been confirmed by our experience) that, unless severely impaired, “children naturally have the same drive to develop in a cognitive sense as they do in a physical sense. The desire of an elementary student to master equivalent fractions can be just as strong as the desire of the infant to crawl, unless the desire has been diminished by the circumstances of the child’s life.”
Keys to Success
- We start young to take advantage of the windows of opportunity in a child’s early brain development.
- We involve parents as partners in their child’s education.
- We expect excellence from each child.
- We teach values; children learn the importance of being kind, loving, and respectful.
- We encourage initiative so children learn how to be responsible for their own learning.
- We create a small, supportive school community, where people know each other and help students build on their strengths.
- We practice being kind, loving, and respectful of self and others.
- We practice being a compassionate community.
- We practice being a dynamic learning community.
- We practice integrity.
- We practice empowerment.
- We practice sustainability.
Lumin Education provides equal educational opportunity to all students in the administration of its educational policies, procedures, programs and activities. Admission is not based on gender, national origin, ethnicity, color, religion, disability, the district the child would otherwise attend, or academic, artistic, or athletic ability.