Dear Alumni, I am happy to inform you that the State Fair of Texas recently announced the availability of its 2017 Pete Schenkel Scholarship! The Pete Schenkel Scholarship, which is named after More »
As we each start our day, I know that we all have on our minds the implications of yesterday’s election. May we each be reminded that the anxieties of this election season More »
Lumin Education will be featured in the documentary, Building the Pink Tower. The film aims to turn collective conversations about education toward More »
Mark your calendar for the annual Lumin Education Open House! This year’s Open House will be held on January 28, 2017 at Lumin Lindsley Park Community School, 7130 Lindsley Ave., Dallas, Texas 75223, from 10am – 12noon.
Our Open House is an opportunity for prospective parents and the general public to learn about our educational programs, tour the Lumin Lindsley Park Community School campus and learn about the enrollment process.
Lumin Education has four campuses, each providing a mix of the following programs: Public Charter Montessori education for children ages 3 through third grade; classroom Montessori education for ages 18 months to 3 years; and a Montessori-inspired home visiting program from pregnancy to 3 years of age.
Lumin Education was founded in 1978 for the specific purpose of transforming education by starting young, involving parents, and creating leaning environments to inspire children from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds.
I am happy to inform you that the State Fair of Texas recently announced the availability of its 2017 Pete Schenkel Scholarship! The Pete Schenkel Scholarship, which is named after a longtime friend and supporter of the State Fair of Texas, provides multiple $6,000 scholarships to selected applicants. Eligible recipients include graduating high school seniors from Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership School, James Madison, Lincoln, North Dallas and Woodrow Wilson High Schools.
Each applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be in good academic standings, students ranking in the top 25% of their class will receive preference.
- Applicants must be a graduate from high school during the year of application and plan to attend an accredited college or university in the state of Texas.
- Lastly, each applicant must answer all of the general application questions, and supply all supporting data. Failure to do so will reduce your chances for consideration.
If you meet the Pete Schenkel Scholarship requirements, I sincerely encourage you to apply. The last day to do so is February 15, 2017. Simply follow the step-by-step guidelines below to apply.
Please also be sure to read the list provided detailing all of the documents you will need available at the time of your application.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED BEFORE YOUR BEGIN YOUR APPLICATION:
– A copy of your high school transcript in PDF format. This document must include your current cumulative GPA and rank in your graduating class (if applicable).
– An official copy of your SAT test scores in PDF format.
If you did not take the SAT, please upload a PDF document that simply states “N/A.”
– An official copy of your ACT test scores in PDF format.
If you did not take the ACT, please upload a PDF document that simply states “N/A.”
– A copy of your electronic FAFSA Student Aid Report in PDF format. (After you have completed your FAFSA application online, it should be processed in approximately 3 to 5 business days. Once your application has been processed, you can log into your FAFSA account online and download a PDF file of your Student Aid Report.)
– A copy of your resume in PDF format
HOW TO APPLY:
- Go to http://bigtex.com/about/scholarship/
- Click on “Apply Now”
- Select the “State Fair of Texas Pete Schenkel Scholarship” link
- Click “Sign Up” at the bottom of the page to complete the registration form
- Check your email for confirmation. (It may go to your junk file)
- Click on the confirmation link received by email
- Login using your username and password (chosen at registration)
- Complete the “General Application Questions” and attach all required documents, then select “Finish and Submit.”
Please note, you do not have to finish the application in one sitting, you can save your application at any time by clicking the “Save and Keep Editing” tab at the bottom of the form.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED & SUBMITTED ONLINE BY FEBRUARY 15, 2017.
As we each start our day, I know that we all have on our minds the implications of yesterday’s election.
May we each be reminded that the anxieties of this election season will not be healed by hate, nor will they be healed by silence and inaction.
At Lumin Education, we practice empowerment. We practice being kind, loving, and respectful of self and others.
At Lumin, we are committed to what is right and just for all. “All” includes those who, in desperation, strike out at others who are different than they are. “All” includes the most vulnerable among us and the most lonely among us and the least educated among us.
We are part of an organization that is grounded in taking action based on love and respect.
Knowing that love and action bring hope, I am thankful to be working with each of you.
As you go about your day, keep in mind that your work brings hope for a better life and a better world.
May we each reach across lines and bond over what we have in common. May we find the humanity in others who are different than we are. May we speak the truth in love and take action committed to respect and justice for all peoples of the earth.
Lumin Education is seeking a Food Service Specialist- Substitute to support our Breakfast and Lunch program for up to 30 hours per week. This position will work from 6:45 AM to 1:00 PM Monday to Friday. Responsibilities include set up and clean-up of breakfast and lunch, complying with food safety and nutrition standards, and assisting with other staff in food preparation. Training will be provided and a High School diploma is required. The position will end in December. Please send cover letter and resume to gro.noitacudenimulnull@sboj